Dear Mistrustful Parent,
I am forced to write this letter on behalf of your children today because I have seen enough of their suffering and it is time that you notice it too, before it is too late.
Now, after you read this letter, you may wonder why your children didn’t tell you all this. Well, just know that’s because they are scared you’ll become even worse than before or feel that it won’t make single iota of difference to you which is a much more frightening prospect if you ask me.
So, coming to you again. This is what your behaviour normally looks like:
· You bind your children to yourself.
· You confine them to the prison you so naively call your home.
· You check on them like a detective for hire (or you hire one if you have enough money)
· You go to meet their teachers even when you’re not called.
· You create a ruckus in their office if they are not there.
· You wait up at night till they are back home with a shoe, broom or belt in your hand.
· You call them fifteen times for every hour they are not home.
· You investigate all their friends like the police do to suspected criminals.
· You follow them to see where they go.
· You constantly accuse them of lying to make sure they never do so.
· God forbid they are seen with members of the opposite sex; you go bat shit insane demanding answers.
And then you tell them that they don’t have a life…
I can understand your need to keep your children safe from this big bad world and give them a better life by protecting them from everything that’s out there. Well, what do your children know? They are so innocent that they will probably go around with the wrong kind of company and get mixed in matters that they shouldn’t get involved in but what about the values that you have imparted to them? What about the strength that you have given them? What about the character that you have built in them? Doesn't that count for anything?
Do you not trust your own upbringing to take care of your children? Do you feel that you were an inadequate parent? Do you feel that your lack of attention towards your children will reflect in their behaviour later on? Is that way you mistrust them so much; because you mistrust yourself?
You may or may not know this, but your children probably feel suffocation, frustration, despair, anger, hopelessness and loneliness because of what you are doing. Your children are like coiled springs ready to unwind the moment there is a tiny ray of hope that they can escape you. In case that they cannot, they try to escape by means of the knife, rope or bottle.
Is this what you want for your children, a life of misery and childhood memories only filled with trauma and unmitigated hatred for you?
I hope not and it is with that hope and a teardrop that I end this letter to you dear Parent.
Yours in hope,
The Concerned Friend.